Monitor out of sync range with new kernel

Subject: Monitor out of sync range with new kernel
christopher.murtagh@wcg.mcgill.ca
Date: Fri Jan 26 2001 - 15:32:28 MST

Greetings YDL folk,

 I just noticed that when I upgraded the kernel (to 2.2.18) on a couple of
G4s (I did it remotely via SSH), that the kernel now boots into a video
mode that my cheapo 15" monitor (brand new ACER 54e) doesn't support. So,
my monitor simply flashes all of its LEDs. I logged in blindly and tried
to set vmode to something... all that did was make the monitor blink for a
second.

 I experienced this problem with the 2.2.17 kernel, but inserting
'novideo' in the yaboot.conf file solved it. This doesn't seem to work
with 2.2.18.

 Any ideas how I could solve this without buying another monitor? There
doesn't seem to be any solution on the monitor itself. Any ideas
appreciated/welcome (preferably ones that don't include soldering, but
I'll do it if that's what it takes - on the monitor that is, not the G4
:-). Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Chris

--

Christopher Murtagh Webmaster / Web Communications Group McGill University Montreal, Quebec Canada