Re: Rev. A iMac...no sound!

Subject: Re: Rev. A iMac...no sound!
From: Nic Ferrier (nferrier@tapsellferrier.co.uk)
Date: Sat Jan 27 2001 - 10:24:22 MST

>>> "Clinton Billedeaux" <dapupil@hotmail.com> 27-Jan-01 4:35:39 AM
>>>

>Now I know that LinuxPPC2000 supports sound
>so I'm kind of wondering why I can't get YDL to play
>a CD? Is there just that big a diff in the distro?

No. Distros are generally nothing special once you've installed linux
(that's mainly what they provide - a slick (or not so slick)
installer).

The problem with sound is that sound support is not turned on in the
linux kernel by default. And that you have to have the right
sound-hardware support in order to turn it on.

Are you using one of the latest kernels available on the net? I
imagine that the 2.2.18 (and any 2.3s) that is knocking around will
work (though I haven't had the time to try linux on my mac yet).

Nic Ferrier