Re: startx failure on 7500

Subject: Re: startx failure on 7500
From: Hollis R Blanchard (hollis+@andrew.cmu.edu)
Date: Sat Jan 27 2001 - 11:18:39 MST

On Sat, 27 Jan 2001, Paul Nixon wrote:

> An update on this. I ran the Xconfigurator and found that X works fine with
> any 8-bit settings but will core dump if I try to use more colour depth.
>
> Is this a known problem.

Not that I've ever heard... how much VRAM do you have (and what resolution are
you using)? Just for reference, the 7500's internal video is called 'control',
and the console driver is controlfb. There have been problems detecting 2 MB
vs 4 MB on control, but even 2 MB should give you 16bit color at 1024x768. At
any rate, look in /var/log/dmesg to see what it says about controlfb.

-Hollis