Re: yup update problem

Subject: Re: yup update problem
From: Patrick Callahan (pac1@tiac.net)
Date: Sun Jan 28 2001 - 18:58:59 MST

On Fri, 26 Jan 2001, you wrote:
> In your unique case I would probably advise you to not use yup as your
> libraries will probably get all messed up.

I'm not really going to try to update glib beyond what ydl is currently using
unless there is a real reason for doing so. I haven't encountered one yet.

While an update to the glibc would be an extreme case, I'd bet there are
others. In fact any package that requires a version of any library beyond
what is current for a properly yupped installation would cause this problem
with at least with the development libraries where there's only a single copy
of the development headers in the /usr/lib sub-directories. The problem would
come up when yup attempts to or succeeds at re-installing a previous version.

I don't know if there would be a problem with the shared libraries themselves.
I think probably not because multiple versions of shared libraries are
ok, and rpms are usually designed to allow for this.

 I'm in the middle of a project to get sources for current versions of stuff I
need or want. I'll be attempting to build rpms and srpms and install the
from rpms in every case. If I encounter any potential library or dependency
issues with yup along the way, I'll let you know.

Here's my target list of packages:

Xfree
openmotif
rsync
wget
qt
kde2.0
kde2.1
kernel2.4
kernel2.2.18
ydlKernel2.2.18
gale
zlib
openssl
openssh
alien
cvsup
quanta
python
wx/wxgtk
wx/wxPython
kdevelop

At this point I have a procedure built to get the sources via wget and
put the downloaded packages in /etc/src/rpm/SOURCES

Next step is to extract the .spec files if any, and
a) figure out what if anything to change in a .spec file if I find one
b) figure out how to make a .spec file if there isn't one.

After that it will be a simple matter to run rpm -ba and then rpm -Uvh
and find out what kind of dependency hell I've gotten into...

What fun!

-Pat