Re: startx on 7500

Subject: Re: startx on 7500
From: Hollis R Blanchard (hollis+@andrew.cmu.edu)
Date: Mon Jan 29 2001 - 09:09:53 MST

On Sun, 28 Jan 2001, Bob Arnold wrote:

> Hey saw this thread and wanted to ask a similar
> question. When ever I try to run startx I get a
> flickering screen and then it returns to the login in
> prompt. I have a script which output the following:

[snip]
> _FontTransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno =
> 111
> failed to set default font path 'unix/:-1'
> Fatal server error:
> could not open default font 'fixed'

It looks like your font path is a little messed up. Your job is to get X and
xfs (the font server) to agree on which port number to use.

In your XF86Config, there's a line like 'FontPath "unix/:-1"'. The -1 is
the port it expects to find the font server at.

See if any port number (should be -1 or 7100) is specified in
/etc/rc.d/init.d/xfs . You should also make sure xfs is running ('service xfs
status' will tell you).

-Hollis