Re: mouse not found w/2.2.18 pre21

Subject: Re: mouse not found w/2.2.18 pre21
From: Hollis R Blanchard (hollis+@andrew.cmu.edu)
Date: Mon Jan 29 2001 - 09:19:53 MST

On Mon, 29 Jan 2001, antadam wrote:

> i just installed and compiled the 2.2.18 pre21 kernel from
> ppc.samba.org using rsync.

Are you aware that kernel.org has 2.2.18 final (and even 2.2.19pre)?

> everything works fine, except for the
> mouse so i followed the directions on the devel.yellodoglinux.com
> site for upgrading the kernel.

Are you referring to the directions about using 2.4? 2.2.18 is not 2.4...

> i'm using mouseconfig 4.4-1c.
> whenever i run startx i get fatal error: mouse not found (the file
> can't be found or is missing). i got that w/the 2.2.18 kernel then
> ran my old kernel and got the same message.

It sounds like you do not have the input layer enabled. In 2.2.18pre you have
to have USB enabled (though you don't need any actual USB drivers) to get the
input layer stuff.

You have set up your machine for the input layer but aren't actually using it.

-Hollis