Re: startx on 7500

Subject: Re: startx on 7500
From: Hollis R Blanchard (hollis+@andrew.cmu.edu)
Date: Mon Jan 29 2001 - 21:09:12 MST

On Mon, 29 Jan 2001, Homer Jr wrote:

> okay it looks like both ports are set to -1. xfs is
> not running and when i try to execute xfs I receive
> this error
>
> STarting X Font Server: execvp: No such file or
> directory
> [FAILED]
>
> Is this saying there is a problem with the file it is
> trying to use for the fonts? what is this file?

xfs is your X font server, and it's not loading, so X isn't loading. The
easiest thing with the highest chance of success is to reinstall xfs:
rpm -e XFree86-xfs
yup install XFree86-xfs

Also make sure you have chkfontpath and freetype installed (you probably don't
need freetype, but it's good to have).

-Hollis