YDL 2.1 on 7300 no problem for me

Subject: YDL 2.1 on 7300 no problem for me
From: Terry Allen (hmag@ozemail.com.au)
Date: Tue Jan 01 2002 - 02:36:27 MST

Hi again,
        In the last 3 weeks or so, a thread regarding installation of YDL
2.1 on a 7300/200 was written. As I mentioned that I had installed it on a
7300/200 with a larger drive without problems, I thought I'd install it on
the standard 2GB drive that came with the machine & let people know how I
did it, as a lot of people had asked me to post the information.
        I've just finished installing & loaded it up to run the KDE
desktop, so here's *exactly* the process I followed to get YDL 2.1 up &
running.

Machine: Power Macintosh 7300/200 w/ 2GB standard Quantum hard drive & 4MB
Video RAM.

Installation steps

1. Start machine from Mac OS 9.1 install CD
2. Format drive with Drive Setup from Mac OS 9.1 install CD with 1 400MB
Mac OS Standard partition & the rest 'unallocated'
3. Install Mac OS 9.1 in it's standard form
4. restart the machine, eject Mac OS 9.1 install CD
5. Insert YDL 2.1 install CD, open the install folder & double click on the
BootX .hqx file
6. When Boot X has decompressed with Stuffit Expander, double click the
BootX Installer ICON (wherever you decompressed it to) & follow the
installer instructions.
7. When BootX is installed, restart Mac, which should load up BootX - hit
enter to go into the YDL installer or let the machine automatically start
it with the time delay
8. Follow installer instructions & wait until you get to the hard drive
partitioning table which appears.
9. Select the 'Free' partition & hit the 'Add' button
10. Enter 10m in the size box & click the accept button
11. In the resulting dialog box, select 'Bootloader' & click the accept button.
12. Click the 'Add' button again & in the resulting dialog box, enter 128m
then click the Accept button
13. In the resulting dialog box, click the 'Linux Swap' option & click the
Accept button.
14. Click the 'Add' button & then click the 'Max' button - in the resulting
dialog box, click the 'Linux Root' option & you should be back at the
partition table - click the 'Save button' - a new box should come up for a
few minutes which shows that the drive is being formatted.
15. Follow the instructions on screen (I chose the 'Default' installation
option) & then select the 'Development - Recommended' option.
16. YDL 2.1 installer will run for about 45 minutes to 60 minutes
17. YDL 2.1 installer will ask about setting up 'Non dial-up' network - I
chose to set a statc IP address
18. Fill out the requested information, such as user information &
passwords, root passwords etc....
19. You should now be at the screen which tells you which drive partition
to set in BootX - remember that - mine was sda9 (as it's a SCSI hard drive)
20. Finaly, you should end up at the 'You have successfuly installed screen'
21. Click the OK button - the machine will reboot - when the BootX screen
appears, click on the ramdisk option & deselect it in the resulting dialog
box. When you end up back at the main BootX screen, you'll see an area
which says beside an empty box /dev/ - it's in here you enter then drive
partition - which in my case was sda9 - be sure to click the save prefs
button.
22. Now click the 'Linux' button & you should successfully boot into YDL 2.1

        I hope this info is usefuly for anyone who needs to run it on a
7300 - the same method has worked for me on a 7600 & a 9600/200mp - though
X video wasn't real good on the 9600. Good luck.

        Bye for now, Terry Allen
hEARd

Postal Address:
        hEARd
        c/o 128 The Entrance Rd
        The Entrance
        NSW 2261
        Australia

Internet -
        WWW:
        http://heard.com.au or http://www.ozemail.com.au/~hmag
        http://hosting.heard.com.au

Interactive Message Board - http://heard.com.au/wwwboard/

EMAIL: (checked every Thursday & Sunday, sometimes more often)
hmag@ozemail.com.au

Non profit promotion for new music
Also, check out the Educate site - http://www.educate.net.au