Re: YDL install w/ multiple drives

Subject: Re: YDL install w/ multiple drives
From: C.L. Simco (clsimco@random-specific.com)
Date: Tue Jan 01 2002 - 16:58:40 MST

Hi and thanks for responding to both Gordon and Avinash,

I've spent the last couple of hours since Avinash
responded to my first message trying to do what he suggested.

Here is what happened:

When I figured out how to get into and use the Konsole in KDE
(took awhile to figure out how to log in as root)
I tried to append the " /etc/yaboot.conf " to include the "macos="
line that Avinash suggested. Then it took a while to figure out how to
re-run the "ybin" from the command prompt. (I'm really green, here)

Each time I ran the"ybin" I got an error, that told me in effect:
"Put in the correct path to ther device or I can do nothing to help you".

Here is the info that I used to append the /etc/yboot.conf file with:

macos=/dev/sda1
macos=/dev/sda1a

As you see I'm guessing since, although I know where the device is in
MAC OS terms (see system info below) but not in Linux/Unix terminology.
I know that there two positions on the SCSI card, and 3 drives. The
drive/ partition that I want to use as the Mac OS is named "darwin-finity".
note: I do have a duplicate of that system on the the partition "darwin-bkup"

that I hope is not causing confusion. (I COULD dump it).

So... with the error that I received, I finally deleted the "macos=" line
from
yaboot.conf and re-ran 'ybin' and received no error before shutting
down YDL to come back to MAC. in other words restored the original file
to original state.

I need to figure out the "address" of the drive and partition that MacOS
resides, to feed into the file in the correct format, before I try your
suggestion
Gordon, I think. If either you or Avinash can give me a better idea of what
to call the path, from the info supplied below that would be a GREAT help.
thanks again

CL