YDL2.1 on 7300...

Subject: YDL2.1 on 7300...
From: Doug Philips (dgou@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Jan 02 2002 - 02:19:31 MST

Long story short, I picked up a used 7300 from the local Goodwill store
today, the price was too much to pass up.

After jumping through hoops, I finally managed to get the 1.2Gig disk
partitioned and MacOS8.6 reinstalled in a 250Mb partition. Leaving me just
over 800Mb for YDL2.1.

As others have reported, when I tried to install the Network configuration,
I got that annoying rpm error and the "fix/repair it yourself message." I
was able to back down to the bare minimal configuration and get that to
install and boot with BootX (YAY!).

At the very end, the YDL installer asked if I wanted to use 'quik' but also
noted that it was officially unsupported. Searching the archives and the web
seems to indicate that quik is a somewhat unreliable way of booting, though
why that is is not quite clear to me.

Since I haven't started using the machine yet, I'll probably re partition it
for an even smaller MacOS partition to get more space from the internal disk
(and probably add another one or two. ;-).

I installed from the same YDL2.1 disks on my iMac, with the everything
install, with no problems.

My questions are:
            Is there a trick to the Network installation option which I
should use?
            Is quik really as flakey as I've made it out to be? I want to
use this machine as a server outside of a firewall, and I want reboots to
work unattended, so this is somewhat of a more important issue. ;-)

Thanks!
          -Doug