Yeller Dog finally installing!

Subject: Yeller Dog finally installing!
From: John Nelson (john@computation.com)
Date: Wed Jan 02 2002 - 21:49:01 MST

All,

As you may remember, I've been trying to install Yeller Dog on a fairly
anemic Mac 8500 with little success. The Yeller Dog installer is, IMHO,
sensitive and fragile and has been crashing a lot during installation.
 Well, tonight I upgraded this machine with 256 meg of RAM and an 18 gig
disk drive and retried the installation process... and now the
installation is just sailing through the install.

The moral is that if you want Yeller Dog, make sure that you have plenty
of RAM and disk space. A puny 1 gig of disk space just ain't gonna do
it even for a Base Install.

I'm sure that I'll encounter problems along the way, but just getting to
the point of installing packages with no major hiccups is an accomplishment.

Also, I'm really pleased that I can upgrade and reuse this old machine.
 If I can get Yeller Dog installed, I'm adding this to my Beowulf
cluster and maybe upgrade the processor to a G3. The 8500 always was a
good machine and worth keeping.

-- John