Re: Yeller Dog finally installing!

Subject: Re: Yeller Dog finally installing!
From: Doug Philips (dgou@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Jan 02 2002 - 22:06:20 MST

John Nelson <john@computation.com> indited:

>The Yeller Dog installer is,
>IMHO,
>sensitive and fragile and has been crashing a lot during
>installation.

I wish I could dispute that, but I can't say my personal experience is very
much different.

>The moral is that if you want Yeller Dog, make sure that you have
>plenty
>of RAM and disk space. A puny 1 gig of disk space just ain't gonna
>do
>it even for a Base Install.

I was able to do a Base Install on a 7600/132 with 48Meg Ram and 1.2 Gig
disk (of which 250 is MacOS8.6, 128Mb is swap, and the rest is one
monolithic Linux partition), so even with 800Mb of disk I had no trouble
(and room to spare).

>the point of installing packages with no major hiccups is an
>accomplishment.

I know that feeling!

>Also, I'm really pleased that I can upgrade and reuse this old
>machine.
>If I can get Yeller Dog installed, I'm adding this to my Beowulf
>cluster and maybe upgrade the processor to a G3. The 8500 always
>was a
>good machine and worth keeping.

Well, if you upgrade the processor, it really isn't a 8500 anymore... ;-)
;-)

-Doug