Re: Hello!! -New To List

Subject: Re: Hello!! -New To List
From: Juan Manuel Palacios (jmpalacios@mac.com)
Date: Thu Jan 03 2002 - 10:06:07 MST

        It got stuck with the Q4 release. It was a great one, it worked
wonders for me. But they never updated it. They never got past things
like kernel 2.2.18, KDE 2.1. old GNOME (don't remember the version) and
things like that. Many struggled trying to keep it alive but it was
difficult. Jeff was nowhere to be found for some time. People started
updating everything by themselves since support and distro-orientated
updates were difficult to find, and many got tired of the scenario and
decided to go for another distro. That's exactly my case, since I got my
Q4 system up to kernel 2.4.10 and KDE 2.2.1 by myself, but is a bit
difficult to be completely on your own in the Linux world, don't you
think? It's something that moves to fast and if you don't have a
supported distro by major developers you have to start tweaking
everything for it to work for you. Eventually everyone gets tired of
that, I think.

        Jeff and others did a great job, but maybe things just got too
difficult to keep that project going. Unfortunate, very much indeed. The
user list still works and maybe others do as well. But for the rest
everything is quite dead (boy do I heat to say that!). I think that is
the fall of a distro, but if you know anything I don't that might make
me happy please let me know. Is LinuxPPC still alive?

        Sincerely,...

                Juan.