RE: YDL compatibility with video accelerator cards

Subject: RE: YDL compatibility with video accelerator cards
From: Iain Stevenson (iain@iainstevenson.com)
Date: Thu Jan 03 2002 - 12:59:58 MST

Hi Pete,

I'm not saying this is easy and won't take some time to set up but ...

I'm assuming that you can get the monitor to work in accelerated console
mode at an appropriate resolution using fbset or some other tool/method.
In my case I could do this but X wouldn't run accelerated. I was using a
cheap (ie slow) monitor that X would persistently try and drive outside its
capabilities. It simply cuts off if operated too fast - if your monitor
doesn't, be careful!

If you run Xautoconfig-4 it will grab the frame buffer setting that is
currently active and include it as the last Modeline entry within the Modes
section of XF86Config-4. Edit /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 so that this is the
only entry present ie something like:

Section "Modes"
        Identifier "Modes0"
        Modeline "1024x768" 65.000 1024 1029 1145 1312 768 769 772 800
+hsync +vsync
EndSection

Then, for the Orion, make the Device section look like this:

Section "Device"
        Identifier "Card0"
        Option "UseFBDev"
        Driver "ati"
        BusID "PCI:0:13:0"
EndSection

In the BusID part, substitute the appropriate slot information for your
card. Obtain this by cat /proc/pci. Then edit the Screen section so that
it only contains information relevant to your chosen resolution - 1024x768
in my case:

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device "Card0"
        Monitor "Monitor0"
        DefaultDepth 24
        DefaultFbBpp 32
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth 8
                FbBpp 32
                Modes "1024x768"
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth 16
                FbBpp 32
                Modes "1024x768"
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth 24
                FbBpp 32
                Modes "1024x768"
        EndSubSection
EndSection

That may be enough for success. With the Radeon, you need to use a patched
driver (I posted about this earlier). I also needed to tweak the Modeline
slightly to bring down the speed of operation. Try reducing the "65.000"
in the modeline section until the monitor shows something. The display may
not be aligned properly but you can use xvidtune once you have some sort of
display to corrrect this.

The key to success seems to be reducing the number of options available to
X so that you can be completely sure of what it is doing to initialise the
display. You can look at /var/log/XFree86.0.log to see exactly the steps
that X followed to initialise (or not) the display.

Hope this helps.

  Iain

--On Thursday, January 3, 2002 9:09 am -0800 Pete Peters