Re: YDL install w/ multiple drives

Subject: Re: YDL install w/ multiple drives
From: Juan Manuel Palacios (jmpalacios@mac.com)
Date: Fri Jan 04 2002 - 01:51:10 MST

        Thank you for your kind words CL, I most certainly hope to provide
a valuable contribution to the group. And yes, of course, you may call
me Juan, please do so! After all, it's how I sign and how I expect
people to call me. Did you find anything interesting with "dmesg" after
all, or are you still looking through the file? I suggest to swap the
drives before you go any further. With that we can rule out many things
like faulty jumpers, wires or connectors. Also, as Abinash suggested,
try finding the OF path of your drives any time you change your physical
setup. That will certainly teach you about your computer (also try
rerunning the "dmesg" combo every time to see if you can spot important
changes in configuration). Are you familiar with Open Firmware? Just in
case you don't know, boot up holding "cmmd-opt-o-f" and you'll be taken
to Open Firmware setup. That is the basest configuration and interaction
you can have with your computer. It is software independent and it
controls the hardware, so be VERY careful there!!! To begging with just
type "printenv" at the prompt and have fun reading. You'll see a line
about "default boot-device", followed by an amazingly long text that
ends with "tbxi". That is what Linux refers to when it talks about the
real OF path to the device. Funny right? To exit Open Firmware just type
"mac-boot" and the computer should keep on with the default device for
start up.

        Again, as I said before, don't hesitate to write if you run into
any rabbit holes. Sincerely,...

                Juan.