Re: start linux - openfirmware?

Subject: Re: start linux - openfirmware?
From: Juan Manuel Palacios (jmpalacios@mac.com)
Date: Fri Jan 04 2002 - 16:50:08 MST

        Hello David. Is good that you're digging cautiously into Open
Firmware because that's the least we could do to prevent something
undesired. I'm so SOOO sorry about this, but both you and I have tiny
typos in the commands. What you exactly need to type is:

setenv boot-device hd:11,\\:tbxi
mac-boot

        First I wrote double comas in the boot-device string, but there
should ONLY be one. Then you reproduced that command with "hda" as the
boot-device, but Open Firmware does not distinguish different ide drives
on a chain as Linux does, with letter suffixes. It does it in a
completely different manner (quite difficult indeed). So what you are
interested in now is "hd" as the boot-device, the number 11 indicating
the partition and the termination "tbxi" indicating OF that at that
point it is supposed to find a valid and bootable device. I warned you
about OF because you should know that it is dangerous to mangle with it,
but the importance a certain mistake has depends on what you're doing.
For example, at this point any typo would produce only minor
consequences: writing something different than "setenv" would only cause
OF to reply with a "unknown word" message; and a typo at the
"boot-device" string would only cause OF to fail at the boot attempt,
telling you that it could not open the device you erroneously specified.
But still, don't be confident and always triple check, a big mistake
with critical stuff at OF (if you get that far) could render your
computer unusable!! It is so critical that a faulty OF tweaking is
reason enough to void your Apple Warranty. To finish the corrections,
the last command goes without the quotations.

        So, always check before you hit enter at OF and have fun with your
tri-boot menu again. Drop me a line if you need further assistance and
try to help you out. Enjoy.

        Sincerely,...

                Juan.