Re: Can I run YDL headless?

Subject: Re: Can I run YDL headless?
From: Stefan Jeglinski (jeglin@4pi.com)
Date: Fri Jan 04 2002 - 22:54:20 MST

>Aside from running MOL, I don't really need a monitor, keyboard or mouse
>on this 8500 running YDL. I plan to use it as a compute server. But...
>will YDL actually boot on an 8500 without these ADB devices? I suspect,
>the answer is "no" because on Old World Macs you need to boot into Mac OS
>first and then boot Linux...
>
>Unless there's a way to directly boot into YDL on an Old World Mac without
>even touching Mac OS. Any chance this can be done?

Since you are old-world, you can use BootX. You can set it up to
default to either MacOS or Linux, with a countdown timer. Set up
properly in a standalone mode, it will first boot into MacOS, then
auto boot to Linux after the timer expires (10 sec is default I
think).

Otherwise, running headless on a Mac is simple. However, some
machines require sensing the physical presence of a monitor through
the video connector before they will boot. I've never used the 8500
so I don't know if it needs to sense or not. But on those machines
which require it, you can wire up a dummy DB-15 connector (you only
have to connect 2 pins together) and plug it in instead of a monitor.
ADB mouse and keyboard are completely optional.

Stefan Jeglinski