Re: Can I run YDL headless?

Subject: Re: Can I run YDL headless?
From: Andrew Leahy (aleahy@knox.edu)
Date: Sat Jan 05 2002 - 09:34:47 MST

John Nelson wrote:

> All,
>
> Aside from running MOL, I don't really need a monitor, keyboard or mouse
> on this 8500 running YDL. I plan to use it as a compute server. But...
> will YDL actually boot on an 8500 without these ADB devices? I suspect,
> the answer is "no" because on Old World Macs you need to boot into Mac OS
> first and then boot Linux...
>
> Unless there's a way to directly boot into YDL on an Old World Mac without
> even touching Mac OS. Any chance this can be done?
>
> -- John

You could use quik (probably installed by default) and try playing around
with open firmware variables. Quik allows you to bypass MacOS completely,
but I haven't gotten it to work on my 7200 with YDL. (Is anybody still
using it? I had some success with Linuxppc.) Try "man quik" and "man
quik.conf" for more information. You can set the open firmware variables
(with /sbin/nvsetenv) so that the input-device and output-device are on the
serial port. Again, I haven't gotten this to work on my 7200, but I don't
know why it shouldn't.

Andrew Leahy