re: kernel argument values for YDL2.1 / Wallstreet 233

Subject: re: kernel argument values for YDL2.1 / Wallstreet 233
From: Jungho Kim (jungkim@sympatico.ca)
Date: Sat Jan 05 2002 - 12:27:08 MST

Hello everyone,

I just installed YDL2.1 on my stock Wallstreet 233 (only upgrade is a 20G IBM Travelstar hard-drive). Everything is up and running, however, there is a problem with the video settings. During the install, the monitor and graphics card were detected correctly. I selected 16bit color and 1024 x 768 resolution, however, after I reboot and go into Linux, the screen is all messed up. Specifically, I have multiple desktops on the display (it looks like multiple desktops of 640 x 480) and the color is only 256. I then restarted and pass the following args to the kernel from BootX (as advised in the installation guide)

video=atyfb:vmode:10

This improved the display somewhat (less desktops, now only 1 complete and couple partial), but the color was just as bad. I tried different values for the arguments. With video=atyfb:vmode:12 there is no change, with video=atyfb:vmode:14 the resolution is corrected, however, there are now big black vertical lines down the display. I have read on the list other people have had similar problems, however, their hardware was different and no solution was presented. Does anyone know what kernel args to pass BootX at startup to correct this problem?

regards,

Jungho Kim