Re: Can I run YDL headless?

Subject: Re: Can I run YDL headless?
From: Mark Jaffe (wizards@wizdev.net)
Date: Sat Jan 05 2002 - 12:55:29 MST

I have had great success with my 8500 running YDL 2.0 (as far as booting
goes.) My MacOS partition is only 100Mb, and it has a base 8.6 system with
BootX. Once you have it set up to go to Linux, just replace the monitor
cable with a Griffin adaptor (the thing that lets you plug an SVGA or VGA
Pee-Cee monitor into the Apple DB-15 video port) and it will think there is
a monitor attached and merrily boot to Linux.

The only continuing problems I am having seem to involve networking or
storage issues. There are no clues in the logs; it just keeps going dead on
me. I've yanked the machine back from the Co-Lo this weekend for a
reinstall; I am doing a fresh install of YDL 2.1 as soon as I pick up my
copy on Tuesday at the TerraSoft booth at MWSF-2002. By that time, we'll all
know what Steve has been keeping inside his pocket... (see
http://www.apple.com for ongoing count-down teasers!)

Mark
Mark Jaffe | (408) 972-9638 (home)
Chief Wizard | (408) 807-1530 (cell/page/voicemail)
Computer Wizards | (425) 795-6421 (FAX)
wizards@wizdev.net | http://www.wizdev.net/