Re: Install Problems YDL2.1 on a beige G3

Subject: Re: Install Problems YDL2.1 on a beige G3
From: Juan Manuel Palacios (jmpalacios@mac.com)
Date: Sat Jan 05 2002 - 19:38:22 MST

        That's not exactly true. I downloaded the Fuji ISO Image from the
YellowDog site and burned from the CD. And that was my installation
source, all the packages that were transferred to my hard drive were on
the CD and it was a smooth installation: just a one try one. On a side
note and in response to Avinash, the partitions CAN, indeed, be created
on Mac OS. I did that and then reformatted them in Linux, don't know
why, maybe because I also love the Mac OS. I must say that they worked
perfectly for me.

        As some pointers for Don, the best way, for me, to create the
partitions is the Mac OS's Drive Setup and pdisk combo. You first create
a primary setup with Drive Setup and then rearrange it with pdisk from
Linux. This is in order to create the bootstrap partition, because Drive
Setup does not let you create smaller than 32MB one. Unfortunately the
YellowDog CD does not contain pdisk, or at least I didn't see it (does
it?). But fortunately when I realized this I had my LinuxPPC Q4 CD with
me, which does. Are you familiar with pdisk? If you want let me know and
I'll give you some pointers.

        Well, those are just my thoughts. I don't know how the YellowDog
disk works formatting the partitions since I had them already formatted.
The LinuxPPC Q4 CD is also very good at that.

        I must say that Avinash was very right and accurate again. Swapping
the drives in your SCSI bus is a very good option. But you Don might
also be right, you could be facing a SCSI driver problem. Recently there
were some problems with the mesh driver unveiled , or at least I heard,
and that's probably the one your computer needs. Maybe some kernel
arguments upon boot might provide you with a fix, so I think is probing
time for you!

        Well, I leave you to it. Sincerely,...

                Juan.