Re: Shut Down

Subject: Re: Shut Down
From: Christopher Murtagh (christopher.murtagh@mcgill.ca)
Date: Sat Jan 05 2002 - 21:56:14 MST

On Sat, 5 Jan 2002, Albert Johnson wrote:
> When I select log-out on the KDE desktop, it takes me to a gray screen.
>From there I can do nothing but shut down the computer. The next time I
>start Linux, it repairs for some time. I understand that log-out should
>take me to the same screen I use to log in. Any suggestions? Thanks.

 It looks like X windows is misbehaving or KDE is crashing. When this
happens, try typing ctl-opt-delete (you might have to try this more than
once). This should force X to shutdown. Then you'll either A) be thrown
into init level 3 (console mode) where you can login and type one of the
following commands:

/sbin/halt
/sbin/shutdown -h now
or
/sbin/poweroff

 (if you log in as the user root, chances are /sbin/ is in your default
path, so you don't need to specify it) or, B) you might be thrown back
into KDE gracefully with a login window (which has a shutdown option).

 If you cannot get KDE to logout properly, then while you are logged in,
open up a console window and type any of the above commands.

Cheers,

Chris

--

Christopher Murtagh Webmaster / Sysadmin Web Communications Group McGill University Montreal, Quebec Canada

Tel.: (514) 398-3122 Fax: (514) 398-2017