booting YDL 2.1 to a Slave Hard Drive

Subject: booting YDL 2.1 to a Slave Hard Drive
From: John P. Burke (jburke@awod.com)
Date: Sun Jan 06 2002 - 12:43:40 MST

I have recently started to become linux savvy. I have the YDL for Your
PowerPC book, and the accompanying CD.

Using the book, I am able to successfully install YDL 2.1 on a 13 GB
partition of my Master Hard Drive (ID=0 ATA 1), and select either Linux
2.1, Mac OS 8.6, or whatever happens to be in my CD drive to boot up.

I am using a Blue and White Mac G3 with 20 GB Master (ID=0 ATA 1) and 20
GB Slave (ID=1 ATA 1) internal Hard Drives installed. I have 576 MB of
built in Memory.

I have attempted to install Mac OS 8.6, alone, on the Master HD, and
Linux on the Slave HD. I initialized both Hard Drives using the Drive
Setup that came on my Mac setup CD, and to provide an 'unassigned'
partition on the Salve HD of about 16 GB to accommodate the YDL 2.1
material on the CD that came with my YDL for Power PC book.

During the set up of YDL 2.1, I selected the Mac OS as the "default"
program to boot; hoping that I'd be presented the option of choosing
either the Mac OS, Linux, or the CD tray for about 10 seconds before the
automatic selection of Mac OS. This doesn't happen! When I select
linux, by pressing the "l" key, the Mac OS is brought up.

It seems to me that the problem is that I haven't been able to figure
out a way for the yboot selection to go over to the Slave drive, find
the linux program, and select it. I have designated (and allocated a 10
MB for) a partition for the 'Bootloader' as per the instructions. This
10 MB partition is placed at Device hdb 6, untitled, and with a
filesystem of 'hfs'. Swap is at hdb 7 (128 MB), and the linux program
is at hdb 8 with a filesystem name of ext2.

Can anyone help me figure out how to be able to keep Mac OS on the
Master HD, Linux on the Slave HD, and be able to choose which one I want
to use? Right know, I know I have the linux program(s) on the Slave
drive, but I can't get to them.
John Burke