Re: Wierd routing problem....

Subject: Re: Wierd routing problem....
From: Avinash Gupta (agupta@mediaone.net)
Date: Sun Jan 06 2002 - 21:11:22 MST

On your DNS server (adenine) can you an 'nslookup' like the following below
(replace yourdomain with your actual domain of course!). The following is
what I am ASSUMING you see if you have a correctly configured DNS server:

nslookup
Default Server : adenine.yourdomain
Address : 168.121.1.1

> guanine.yourdomain
Name : guanine.yourdomain
Address : 192.168.0.24

>exit
%>

If you don't see the above then your DNS server is probably not configured
correctly. Also, you mentioned that /etc/resolv.conf on the client machines
contains the IP address for adenine (i.e. your DNS server), but this won't
work for Internet addresses.

For the clients to be able to resolve Internet addresses, you will need to
put in your ISP's DNS addresses in /etc/resolv.conf for each client machine,
in ADDITION to your local DNS servers address. e.g.

Each client box will have a /etc/resolv.conf like this :

search yourdomain
nameserver 168.121.1.1
nameserver xxx.yyy.zzz.www (your ISP)

I am not sure what your goa is ... do you want your server to provide DNS
services for your INTRANET or are you looking to do name resolution for
INTERNET addresses (in which case you would use your ISP's DNS servers)?

-- Avinash Gupta (agupta@mediaone.net)