Re: Shut Down

Subject: Re: Shut Down
From: Neil Green (n.c.green@ntlworld.com)
Date: Mon Jan 07 2002 - 06:43:09 MST

Albert Johnson <wjohnson@cimarronschools.net>

> I am a Mac network administrator but new to Linux. I have installed YDL 2.1 on
> a 500 MHz iMac and am slowly learning the ropes, but proper shut down is
> eluding me. When I select log-out on the KDE desktop, it takes me to a gray
> screen. From there I can do nothing but shut down the computer. The next time
> I start Linux, it repairs for some time. I understand that log-out should take
> me to the same screen I use to log in. Any suggestions? Thanks.

I installed YDL 2.1 on my iMac 400 MHz last weekend and experienced a
similar problem on logging out - the screen would go black, the login screen
refused to reappear, and I had no option but to force reboot, which resulted
in a long repair at next boot. Turns out I had set my monitor to the wrong
resolution and this was interfering with things. Log in, open a shell and,
at the prompt, type:

Xconfigurator

then try re-setting your monitor resolution. The maximum an iMac can handle
is 1024x768, AFAIK.

I'm a newbie to Linux and this list, so please forgive any errors in
terminology/etiquette.

HTH,
Neil.