Installing YDL 2.1 off of a hard disk

Subject: Installing YDL 2.1 off of a hard disk
From: Dan Hawker (dan@canford.com)
Date: Tue Jan 08 2002 - 09:28:13 MST

Hi All,
    Am new to YDL and this list (have used LinuxPPC before and debian on
m68k machines) and am having trouble with installing YDL 2.1 on a 7600.
Here's the problem and my attempts to fix them. I'll put machine specs, etc
at the bottom.

    Have tried downloading the iso image and burning it onto CD. For reasons
I am unsure of, (although by lurking here for the past few days this seems
to be something that not just I seem to make a mess of) it never seemed to
work, so I decided to download all the files individually onto a hard drive
(actually a jaz cart) and try and install from there.
    My problem seems to be that although I can get the installer to start,
(text only though, the GUI version seems to barf on something) when it gets
to the part about picking the media to get the files off of, it only has
cd-rom displayed and refuses to do anything else.
    Basically, has anyone managed to do an install of YDL 2.1 from a hard
disk and if so can you give me any pointers/instructions. Do I need to do
any editing of any files, add kernel arguments so that it allows install off
of hard disk, etc, etc.
    I have installed LinuxPPC Q4 on the same setup fine, I tested it to make
sure it wasn't something to do with my SCSI setup, I just seem to have
trouble installing.

TIA

Dan Hawker

PowerMac 7600/132 with 170MB RAM
2 x 1.2GB SCSI Hard disks (Quantums) (internally) and 1 x CDROM drive (all
as per factory. The second 1.2 GB Hard disk is from a long dead 7600)
SCSI ID's 0, 1, 3 respectively on the internal (0) bus.

I have OS 9.1 on disk 0, the second (1) is split 128MB swap, rest linux
root.

1 x 1GB jaz drive and 1 x 100MB zip drive (externals) SCSI ID's 4 & 5
respectively on the external (1) bus.