Re: 2.1 Install & Bootloader

Subject: Re: 2.1 Install & Bootloader
From: Juan Manuel Palacios (jmpalacios@mac.com)
Date: Tue Jan 08 2002 - 10:40:39 MST

        Try making a symlink from vmlinux-2.4.10-12a to vmlinux and from
System.map-2.4.10-12a to System.map:

ln -s vmlinux-2.4.10-12a vmlinux
ln -s System.map-2.4.10-12a System.map

        And paste that in /etc/yaboot.conf as your image file (only the
vmlinux bit). Rerun ybin and try rebooting to test your luck. But please
let me tell you that this seems very strange to me. How could you fiddle
with your fstab and yaboot.conf file if you can't even boot linux. Where
you up from the CD? If so and you had to fiddle with those files, are
you sure you were looking at the ones from your install or at the ones
that make the CD work? Note that your drive's partitions are mounted at
/tmp when you are at the CD, so the paths would be /tmp/etc, /tmp/boot
and so on. Sorry if I sound patronizing but you weren't that clear in
your message.

        And if after all your DRIVE'S files seem to be right and you still
can't get into Linux because of a problem with /boot, then you still
could be in front of a wide variety of scenarios. If we get that far I
suggest reformatting the /boot partition (let's hope you made it a
separate one!) and reinstalling the kernel rpms from the CD. Are you
comfortable with the rpm command and the imposition of other than
default rpm database in order to get an appropriate install?

        If you did not make /boot a separate partition then I refrain
myself from suggesting any further until you give us a little more info
about your problem so that we can make out what's going on.

        Regards,...

                Juan.