Re: Problem with Asante Fast Ethernet card

Subject: Re: Problem with Asante Fast Ethernet card
From: Timothy A. Seufert (tas@mindspring.com)
Date: Wed Jan 09 2002 - 13:07:10 MST

At 6:04 PM -0800 1/8/02, Bryan Dyck wrote:

> The installation process went fine, booting with the 2.4.10-12a kernel,
> except that I get no network connectivity using my Asante Fast Ethernet
> card. From what I can tell, there appears to be a driver conflict of
> some sort - the Asante shows up in /proc/pci as a Linksys LNE100 card,
> which seems fine, except that checking /proc/ioports shows that the
> Linksys driver and the Tulip driver are wanting the same port range.
> Just for fun, I checked /proc/modules to see if by chance the Tulip
> driver was loaded as a module, but no such luck...

The Linksys LNE100 *is* a Tulip.

Are you sure you're interpreting /proc/ioports correctly? Things
which are indented are subranges of a parent range. For example I've
got a PowerBook with a CardBus tulip clone Ethernet card and it shows
the following:

   00004800-000048ff : PCI CardBus #05
     00004800-000048ff : PCI device 13d1:ab02
       00004800-000048ff : tulip

So even though the 4800-48ff range is shown three times, it's just a
case of listing first the total range occupied by the slot, second
the range actually used by the device, and finally the range claimed
by the Tulip driver. (In this case all three ranges are the same.)

--
Tim Seufert