Re: NFS is a problem with Yeller Dog

Subject: Re: NFS is a problem with Yeller Dog
From: Christopher Murtagh (christopher.murtagh@mcgill.ca)
Date: Wed Jan 09 2002 - 20:47:26 MST

On Wed, 9 Jan 2002, John Nelson wrote:
>1) It is ...slloowwwwwwwww. Copying files over NFS is slow and the
>initial mount is VERY slow, requiring several minutes just to mount the
>NFS file systems. That doesn't seem reasonable.

 Yeah, it seems like your install isn't good. Make sure that your kernel
has support for NFS v3. I have a bunch of G4s running YDL2.1 serving via
NFS without any problems (well, I do have problems with OS X clients but
that's a different issue). I'm running 2.4.18pre1 kernels with support
for v3 client and server. I also disabled anything that looked and smelled
like HFS and AppleTalk, so that might have made things better or not.

>2) I can't move files onto an NFS mounted file system as root, only as
>the owner of the NFS mount. If the owner on the server is root, then I
>can't write to the file system, so I have to chown and chgrp the files
>on the server to normal users and then interact with them on the client
>as those users.

 There's a really good how-to on linuxdoc, its getting old, but I don't
think NFS has changed much in the last year:

http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/NFS-HOWTO/index.html

Cheers,

Chris

--

Christopher Murtagh Webmaster / Sysadmin Web Communications Group McGill University Montreal, Quebec Canada

Tel.: (514) 398-3122 Fax: (514) 398-2017