Re: mkfs.ext2 -

Subject: Re: mkfs.ext2 -
From: Avinash Gupta (agupta@mediaone.net)
Date: Wed Jan 09 2002 - 21:18:23 MST

On Thursday 10 January 2002 12:31, you wrote:
> Two part question. (+1)
>
> 1. I have 1.7GB of "unallocated" space on my primary drive. My last
> filesystem now, is dev/hda13. Can i use mkfs.ext2 dev/hda14 to create a
> new ext2 filesystem? (That will not interfere with any pre-existing data
> or partitions, of course)

You will first need to create a partition /dev/hda14 before you can create a
new filesystem on it. Use a tool like 'parted' or 'pdisk' to create a new
partition. Refer to the man pages for these tools on how to create a new
partition. Be careful! It is very easy to lose your entire installation if
you are not careful ... Once you are done, you can use:

        /sbin/mke2fs /dev/hda14
(assuming your new partition is /dev/hda14)

If you want this partition to automount when you reboot, add a line to
/etc/mtab e.g.

        /dev/hda14 / ext2 rw 0 0

> 2. Can i convert a 1 GB HFS+ filesystem (seperate partition, the 6th
> partition of 8 on secondary drive [hdb]) to ext2, without any data loss
> on the other partitions?

Yes. But you will lose all data on your HFS+ partition. You should be able
to do :

        /sbin/mke2fs /dev/hdb6

(MAKE SURE your HFS+ partiton number matches the above by using 'parted' or
'pdisk'!)

> 3. I know that Linux can read HFS+ but not write to it. how can i see
> the data contained on all my hfs+ partitions from the command line?
> mount? (I haven't run mol yet, i know that should work)

You need the hfsplus utils package from your Yellow Dog CD. You can install
it using:

        yup install hfsplusutils

The command are:
        hpmount /dev/hda9 (assuming MacOS is on /dev/hda9)
        hpls (to list all files on the mounted drive)
        hpcd (to change directories)
        hpcopy (to copy files etc.)

-- Avinash Gupta (agupta@mediaone.net)