Re: NFS is a problem with Yeller Dog

Subject: Re: NFS is a problem with Yeller Dog
From: Avinash Gupta (agupta@mediaone.net)
Date: Wed Jan 09 2002 - 21:44:38 MST

> All,
>
> So far so good. I set up my Yellow Dog machine as a client on an NFS
> network but I've bumped into two issues:
>
> 1) It is ...slloowwwwwwwww. Copying files over NFS is slow and the
> initial mount is VERY slow, requiring several minutes just to mount the
> NFS file systems. That doesn't seem reasonable.

If your filesystem does not contain any data requiring absolute data
integrity you can try using the 'async' mount option in /etc/exports.

DISCLAIMER! You may lose data .... use at your own risk!

> 2) I can't move files onto an NFS mounted file system as root, only as the
> owner of the NFS mount. If the owner on the server is root, then I can't
> write to the file system, so I have to chown and chgrp the files on the
> server to normal users and then interact with them on the client as those
> users.
>
> Any way to alleviate these issues? I'm using no_sqaush and rw on the
> server exports file.

You should never turn off root squashing unless multiple users with root
access to your server does not bother you.

-- Avinash Gupta (agupta@mediaone.net)