Re: Problem with Asante Fast Ethernet card

Subject: Re: Problem with Asante Fast Ethernet card
From: Bryan Dyck (bdyck@mac.com)
Date: Wed Jan 09 2002 - 23:15:04 MST

>Are you sure you're interpreting /proc/ioports correctly? Things which
>are indented are subranges of a parent range. For example I've got a
>PowerBook with a CardBus tulip clone Ethernet card and it shows the following:
<snip>
>So even though the 4800-48ff range is shown three times, it's just a case
>of listing first the total range occupied by the slot, second the range
>actually used by the device, and finally the range claimed by the Tulip
>driver. (In this case all three ranges are the same.)

My bad - I was not paying close enough attention to /proc/pci, as it shows
precisely the hierarchy you mentioned. I guess that's what I get for
staring at the same bloody problem for so long. :)

At any rate, I started fiddling with it again just now, and now it seems to
like the card fine. I think a source of problems for me was that when I
booted the 2.2 "backup" kernel, it loaded the onboard MACE Ethernet
controller as interface eth0 (having no driver for the Asante card), and on
booting the 2.4.10-12a kernel, it loaded the Asante as eth0. Took me a bit
to figure that one out.

Thanks for your help, though! :)

Cheers,
Bryan