Re: Yellow Dog Linux 2.1 and Power Mac G4 w/Radeon - Absolute newbie

Subject: Re: Yellow Dog Linux 2.1 and Power Mac G4 w/Radeon - Absolute newbie
From: Iain Stevenson (iain@iainstevenson.com)
Date: Thu Jan 10 2002 - 02:14:31 MST

Hi Aram,

--On Wednesday, January 9, 2002 9:04 pm +0100 Aram Kudurshian
<aramk@mac.com> wrote:

> A quick search among the archives shows a couple of queries but due to my
> absolute little knowledge of YDL, I have no idea what needs to be done.
> I've tried setting up the Radeon through the Yaboot config file through
> the command append="video=radeonfp (etc) but haven't got it to work. Can
> anyone help me out (using simple English if possible).

This only sets the video options for console mode in Linux. A simple
"video=radeonfb" may be all you need to get started.

The video modes that X uses are defined in the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file.
In some cases this is regenerated at each boot - if you make changes to the
file that don't stick then you will probably need to address this problem.
I have posted several times to this list recently concerning the Radeon
driver so you can look these postings up on the list archive. One of these
explains how I solved my Radeon problems and contains some example lines
from /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 that you can use as a template and may help to
sort out your problem.

  Iain