Re: How to turn on rsh?

Subject: Re: How to turn on rsh?
From: Avinash Gupta (agupta@mediaone.net)
Date: Thu Jan 10 2002 - 20:41:12 MST

Do you have the fully qualified domain names in /etc/hosts.equiv? You will
not be able to run rsh as 'root' ... try running it as a different user. Try
this:

        $ /bin/hostname
        machine.domain

Put the above 'machine.domain' in your
/etc/hosts.equiv. Try 'rsh' as a regular user e.g.:

        [agupta@laxmi agupta]$ rsh machine.domain /bin/hostname

This seems to work for me ... at least on the local box.

BTW, When you say your xinetd.conf lists machines that are authorized, I am
assuming you are using the 'only_from' option in the xinetd.conf file. I did
not have to do that ... the only file I modified was /etc/hosts.equiv and it
worked.

-- Avinash Gupta (agupta@mediaone.net)