Re: Traceroute doesn't work

Subject: Re: Traceroute doesn't work
From: Romain Kang (romain@kzsu.stanford.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 10 2002 - 22:38:00 MST

On Thu, Jan 10, 2002 at 08:15:09PM -0000, Markús S. Kötterheinrich wrote:
> I always's get this and nothing more when I want to use traceroute:
>
> traceroute to www.barock.co.uk (217.151.160.43), 30 hops max, 38 byte
> packets
>
> Any ideas??
>
> Markus.

I have this problem at home, where I use an SMC firewall in front
of a cable modem. If I connect directly to the the ISP, Linux-based
traceroute works fine. Behind the SMC, everything times out.
M$ machines seem to get through, but not Linux.

Instead, I use "mtr" (see http://www.bitwizard.nl/mtr/). This
works well for me.

Regards,
Romain Kang Disclaimer: I speak for myself alone,
romain@kzsu.stanford.edu except when indicated otherwise.