re: requests install advice (partitions): Wallstreet PBG3 233, YDL2.1

Subject: re: requests install advice (partitions): Wallstreet PBG3 233, YDL2.1
From: david wright (dwright5@nyc.rr.com)
Date: Sat Jan 12 2002 - 11:57:50 MST

Hello Andrew,

You wrote:
My questions:
1. From the online documentation it looks like the Yellow Dog
installer isn't gonna like that I've already partitioned my
disk...even the Custom install mode. Is this in fact the case? I
don't really want to back up everything I've got on this disk and
repartition. Is there a way to install without repartioning?

-Well, i would never recommend making "major" (i.e. installing an
operating system) changes to a hard drive without backing it up (or
ghosting it or something) but that's me. Like yourself, I actually tried
a variety of partition options prior to installing as well. The only
installation that finally worked (even in custom) was what they
recommend. (boot - HFS 10 MB; swap - "swap" 256MB and / - 1.7GB) i
wasn't especially happy with this as i wanted many more filesystems and
partitions but i was very tired of the "installation" process and just
wanted the D$%^ mounted and running - ahh, the virtues of patience,...

-Sorry, the points i'm trying to make are. 1. Yellow Dog likes to make
it's own partitions and filesystems from the installer, so if you know
where your macos partitions are and where you want your linux partitions
when you get to the partition disks section, you can delete (and then
create) your existing linux partitions without touching you macos
partitions.

2. If I do have to repartiton (ugh), how much swap space do I want,
what's the limit on the size of a swap partition, and will the
installer let me make more than one?

-Min size is 64 MB - Max size is 256 MB. they recommend 128 MB, 128
wouldn't work for me (i used 256MB) and i only have 192 MB RAM. I think
that 2x your RAM is left over from a few years ago but i really don't
know ( how can max be 256MB and most people are running about that as
standard RAM these days?)

3. Any other useful pointers? (At this point--having wrestled with
LinuxPPC on and off since October--I've grown a bit impatient to get
Linux up and functional, so if at all possible I'd like to get this
right in as few tries as possible, before I leave the country in a
few weeks...)

-this is a "new world" machine right? Have fun - good luck.

Thanks in advance,
Andrew Stout