Pismo Install Oddity FYI & Workaround

Subject: Pismo Install Oddity FYI & Workaround
From: Evan Robinson (erobinson@starband.net)
Date: Sat Jan 12 2002 - 12:19:28 MST

I purchased YDL at MacWorld on Wednesday and had an interesting
experience while installing it. On my pismo Powerbook (firewire)
with 640MB RAM and a 20 GB internal HD, the installer would routinely
crap out after I selected the packages I wanted installed with the
following:

IOError: [Errno 5] Input/output error:
'/tmp/root/var/cache/yup/YellowDow Linux release 2.1-ppc/stat'

File "/usr/lib/yup/yupdb/py" line 1297, in UpdateDB
open(yupcfg.cfg.localdistdir + 'stat', 'w')

File "/usr/lib/yi/packman.py", line 183, in read_packages ptree.UpdateDB()

File "/usr/lib/yi/packman.py", line 119 in configure ptree=self.read_packages()

File "/usr/lib/yi/template.py", line 57, in __call__ return
self.configure(args)

It looked to me like the installer was having trouble reading or
writing the install CD. So I tried another one. Same problem. I
made sure the CD was readable by not only another Mac (desktop
machine at work) but also mine by copying the entire CD to the
internal HD. I sent a note to bugs@yellowdoglinux.com, but I figure
they're all still at MacWorld.

Finally, just as a lark, I duped the install CD onto a CD-RW (using
an external FW CD-RW) and tried to install from that.

It worked. And while I want to test the system for awhile before I
declare this experiment a success, it looks good.

So, if you see errors as I listed above, you might give another CD or
even a copy of your CD a try (or maybe clean it, or try another CD
drive if you have access to one, or ....)

        Evan

Sure you can trust the government! Just ask an Indian!
  -- Extreme Bumperstickers