Installation troubles

Subject: Installation troubles
From: Glenn Fisher (gfisher@websound.com)
Date: Mon Jan 14 2002 - 10:09:47 MST

Hi,

I've been trying to install YDL 2.1 over the past week and I'm having
trouble. Here's what I've got;

PowerCenter w/ PowerLogix 250Mhz G3, 256MB RAM, ATI Nexus 128, 1 int.
2GB SCSI, 2 ext. SCSI HD, OS 9.1.

I DL'd the ISO CD image and put that on a CD. I also DL'd everything
from the Yellow Dog Linux 2.1 directories and put it on two CD's. One CD
follows the Directory organization described in the README, the other CD
just has all the extras.

First I tried installing using the ISO image. I followed the
installation process as described. I initialized one of my external
drives, created 2 partitions, on HFS and one unallocated. I use FWB Hard
Disk Tool Kit. I installed Mac OS 9.1 on the HFS partition and booted
from it. I then copied BootX to the HD and launched it. It proceeded
with the install from the .iso file, but then error'd out with a message
that said one of the files specified by the installer could not be
found. When I relaunched, I got the BootX control during start up, and
went ahead and selected Linux. It loaded the kernel but hung at "booting
up...".

I started over. Reinitialized, re-installed MacOS. This time I tried to
install using the YDL-2.1 CD. It got through the installation
successfully. When I reboot and select Linux from the BootX control, the
screen goes black and it just hangs there.

Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Cheers,
Glenn Fisher