Newbie question: su root?

Subject: Newbie question: su root?
From: ke Svensson (ake@curry-co.com)
Date: Mon Jan 14 2002 - 21:32:45 MST

Sorry to bother you with this newbie question:

I can't do 'su root' in a telnet session. I'd like to be able to run some
simple scripts from a remote machine on my local network. I've searched on
Google and read the man pages but to no avail (not enough IQ?).
I can login as a normal user and then I try 'su root' and use the correct
password for 'root' but I get the message 'incorrect password'. Why? ('root'
is not logged in on the linuxbox)

I'm running YDL 2.0/kernel 2.4.16 on a ppc 7600 wich works great! On the
other end I have a G4 with NCSA Telnet 2.7b4.. something.

Regards,

Ake Svensson, Sweden