install trouble: error at mount points (Wallstreet PBG3 233, YDL2.1)

Subject: install trouble: error at mount points (Wallstreet PBG3 233, YDL2.1)
From: Andrew Stout (astout2@swarthmore.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 15 2002 - 00:34:46 MST

Hello again. Trouble installing here...

text-only installer barfs just after formatting partitions, when
starting mount point step. I've tried both Default and Custom...same
problem. It appears to be happening at the beginning of the mount
points step, before I get any mount point output. creating
partitions finished without visible error, however I am slightly
suspicious, as it seemed to finish quickly: one red block on the
progress bar when it finished formatting the 256 Mb swap partition
and moved on to the 5 Gb linux partition, and then, rather quickly,
back at the choose next step screen (on the custom install) or on to
the mount points barf.

The error screen says something about a fatal error, gives this traceback:

OSError: [Errno 5] Input/Output error: '/tmp/root/etc/'

  File "./mount.py", line 514, in Write
     os.mkdir(self.installPath + '/etc/);

  File ".mount.py", line 344, in configure
     return self.Write(face)

  File "./template.py", line 57, in __call__
     return self.configure(args)

Other potentially important details:
I'm trying to install on a Wallstreet PBG3, from the YDL-2.1 iso
image downloaded and burned with Toast (delux 4.2.1 I think).
BootX:
checked use ramdisk, specified ramdisk-text.image.gz
left ramdisk size BLANK (it choked on boot-up otherwise)
kernel vmlinux (from the CD...says 2.4 on boot-up)
other arguments: video=ofonly
NOTE: This is BootX installed from LinuxPPC 2000 Q4...the BootX
installer on the CD seemed to hang after accepting the liscence. I
copied the ramdisk and kernels onto my HD and just changed the
parameters on the BootX I already had.

What gives? Please advise.

TIA,

Andrew Stout