Re: Newbie question: su root?

Subject: Re: Newbie question: su root?
From: Stephen Reiach (sreich@fit.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 15 2002 - 21:46:26 MST

On Tue, 15 Jan 2002 06:32:45 +0200
Åke Svensson <ake@curry-co.com> wrote:

> Sorry to bother you with this newbie question:
>
> I can't do 'su root' in a telnet session. I'd like to be able to run some
> simple scripts from a remote machine on my local network. I've searched on
> Google and read the man pages but to no avail (not enough IQ?).
> I can login as a normal user and then I try 'su root' and use the correct
> password for 'root' but I get the message 'incorrect password'. Why? ('root'
> is not logged in on the linuxbox)
>
> I'm running YDL 2.0/kernel 2.4.16 on a ppc 7600 wich works great! On the
> other end I have a G4 with NCSA Telnet 2.7b4.. something.
>
> Regards,
>
> Ake Svensson, Sweden

Well, my first comment would have to be not to use telnet. Telnet transfers passwords in plain text. So that root password your sending is going in plain text. Ouch.
If possible use SSH [Secure Shell]. It works basically in the same way but is "secure". Most linux distros come with SSH [OpenSSH] as im sure 2.0 does as 2.1 does.
Also, it may be that telnet is set up not to allow root to log in via telnet I've had that setting on a telnet server before but im not sure if yours is the same.

Stephen Reiach