Re: Newbie question: su root?

Subject: Re: Newbie question: su root?
From: Keary Suska (hierophant@pcisys.net)
Date: Tue Jan 15 2002 - 15:38:43 MST

Since you can't su root at the console either, it is not an issue with
telnetd. Since there aren't any means to restrict who can su on Linux that I
know of, I would lean towards a PAM misconfiguration issue. I would make
sure your PAM config files are correct (/etc/pam.d)--mostly that they all
agree abut the use of shadowed passwords (if used) and encryption algorithm
(such as if you are using MD5). You can ignore the files that relate to
services (such as ftp or telnet). You may also want to check out
/etc/pwdb.conf.

While testing and checking things out, you should work at the system console
from a shell, and *not* a windowing environment. That way you are
eliminating as many other possible interfering factors as well.

For the heck of it, does the root user have a valid shell defined?

Keary Suska
Esoteritech, Inc.