/sbin/mke2fs /dev/hdb12

Subject: /sbin/mke2fs /dev/hdb12
From: david wright (dwright5@nyc.rr.com)
Date: Tue Jan 15 2002 - 17:50:43 MST

Well i seemed to have created a ext2 partition on my secondary drive. I say
"seemed" because i can't seem to access it or find it. I had previously had a
hfs+ filesystem there. I tried to use 'pdisk' or 'parted' neither of which is
available in my 'bash' version, huh? (kernel 2.4.10) - there are man pages
for parted though, 'pdisk' does not exist. i also did man fdisk but that
seems to be more for DOS systems, they also recommend that you don't use it.
(use cfdisk instead which i didn't have either)

 I looked at every partition (hpmount /dev/hdbx) on hdb and found that i
wanted 12 for my ext2 system, so that's when i ran /sbin/mke2fs /dev/hdb12 (i
did get the print out that a filesystem had been created) I also added
/dev/hdb12 / ext2 rw 0 0 to /etc/mtab but when i rebooted, the new filesystem
does not mount. and the line i appended does not appear therein. What am i
missing? how do i use this new ext2 partition?

All i really wanted to do was move /home to my second hard drive so i would
not be writing unecessary data to my primary disk and filesystem. What is the
best way to do this? (I don't need a whole new filesystem there, just a few
directories)

*i did check and at least the data on my other hfs+ filesystems on hdb were
unharmed, which was a concern.

thanks, as always.

-david

"i think they call this horrific process learning,... "