netatalk can't unregister

Subject: netatalk can't unregister
From: Srihan M. De Livera (sridel@earthlink.net)
Date: Wed Jan 16 2002 - 13:28:07 MST

I am less than a month old on Linux, so please be patient!

Does anyone know how to reset netatalk?

When I issue the command /etc/rc.d/init.d/atalk start, it gives me a message
that it has started and that it is "backgrounded". However, when I check the
status, it tells me that it has stopped. When I do a restart I get a
message:

Shutting down Apple Talk Services: afpd: no process killed
can't unregister Srihan De Livera:Workstation@*
Can't unregister Srihan De Livera:netatalk@*
atlaked: no process killed

I did a ps aux, and did not see any pids, so I did a
nbpunrgstr SrihanDeLivera:Workstation@* and the same for netatalk@*, and
neither worked. It still told me that I couldn't unregister. Any suggestions
on how I can reset this.

Events that might have led up to this were that I trashed my server icon in
the MacOS (MOL) trash, and killed the terminal window without shutting down
netatalk- now I know better.

Thanks for your help!

Srihan Mark De Livera, CCNA