Re: netatalk can't unregister

Subject: Re: netatalk can't unregister
From: Keary Suska (hierophant@pcisys.net)
Date: Wed Jan 16 2002 - 13:56:56 MST

on 1/16/02 1:28 PM, sridel@earthlink.net purportedly said:

> I am less than a month old on Linux, so please be patient!
>
> Does anyone know how to reset netatalk?
>
> When I issue the command /etc/rc.d/init.d/atalk start, it gives me a message
> that it has started and that it is "backgrounded". However, when I check the
> status, it tells me that it has stopped. When I do a restart I get a message:
>
> Shutting down Apple Talk Services: afpd: no process killed
> can't unregister Srihan De Livera:Workstation@*
> Can't unregister Srihan De Livera:netatalk@*
> atlaked: no process killed
>
> I did a ps aux, and did not see any pids, so I did a
> nbpunrgstr SrihanDeLivera:Workstation@* and the same for netatalk@*, and
> neither worked. It still told me that I couldn't unregister. Any suggestions
> on how I can reset this.
>
> Events that might have led up to this were that I trashed my server icon in
> the MacOS (MOL) trash, and killed the terminal window without shutting down
> netatalk- now I know better.

The problem is not that you can't unregister, it is that you probably aren't
getting registered in the first place. Keep in mind that it can take up to
30 seconds for atalk to complete its boot process. Aborting it mid-steam can
cause unexpected errors.

If none of the atalk daemons are running, the system is effectively shut
down. Starting atalk brings it back up. That's all there is to resetting it.

However, there can be additional issues if you have kernel support for
access Mac volumes from Linux. Rebooting your system is a sure way to clear
these.

Keary Suska
Esoteritech, Inc.