RTL8139x Ethernet Driver.. :/

Subject: RTL8139x Ethernet Driver.. :/
From: Ben Heffron (bheffron@rochester.rr.com)
Date: Thu Jan 17 2002 - 00:52:02 MST

OK, so I am a newbie idiot when it comes to linux. I have installed it
numerous times only to lose patience with it. Now i am forcing myself
to learn it because one of my brothers bet me I couldn't. As such, I
installed YDL 2.0 on a Umax C600 64/3.1. Previously I took out the
stock ethernet card and replaced it with a generic rtl8139x card I
bought at CompUSA. It works fine on the Macside, but no such luck in
YDL. I tried searching the lists through the Google thing, and I tried
searching on google itself... I couldn't find anything that has been
able to help me, much less that I could understand. What I have found
though is that this is a real pain in the a**. Has anyone been able to
do it? Should I go to my moms house and tear open her computer to get
the old card back(I would rather have a pain in my ass software-wise
than ripe that thing open.. its a beast). So- I would greatly
appreciate *any* and all help. So far the card has not been recognized
at all. The ethernet driver says its a rtl8139, but its not initialized
and it isn't working. :(
Thanks in advance!!
-ben