Beige Sound Trouble 101

Subject: Beige Sound Trouble 101
From: Tehrasha Darkon (darkon@netins.net)
Date: Thu Jan 17 2002 - 02:51:44 MST

Beige G3/333 MT AV
MacOS 8.6 MacOS 9.1 YDL-2.1

Oldworld Mac, so therefore using BootX to get to linux.

Using BootX during bootup, from either MacOS, sound never works.
Boot completely into 9.1, then the BootX App, sound never works.
Mixer settings have no effect in either of the above.
There is simply no sound, though the dmasound_pmac loads during boot.

Boot completely into 8.6, then the BootX App, sound always works.

....using BootX after full boot into MacOS 8.6
$ more dmesg_sound | grep sound
dmasound_pmac: Awacs/Screamer Codec Mfct: 11 Rev 0
PowerMac AWACS rev 0 DMA sound driver rev 016 installed

$ cat /dev/sndstat
PowerMac AWACS rev 0 DMA sound driver rev 016 :
Core driver edition 01.06 : PowerMac Built-in Sound driver edition 00.06

...using BootX after full boot into MacOS 9.1
$ more dmesg_nosound_9 | grep sound
dmasound_pmac: Awacs/Screamer Codec Mfct: 11 Rev 12
PowerMac Screamer DMA sound driver rev 016 installed

$ cat /dev/sndstat after MacOS 9.1 (no sound)
PowerMac Screamer DMA sound driver rev 016 :
Core driver edition 01.06 : PowerMac Built-in Sound driver edition 00.06

...using BootX during the MacOS boot sequence (either OS)
$ more dmesg_nosound | grep sound
dmasound_pmac: Awacs/Screamer Codec Mfct: 0 Rev 0
PowerMac AWACS rev 0 DMA sound driver rev 016 installed

$ cat /dev/sndstat
PowerMac AWACS rev 0 DMA sound driver rev 016 :
Core driver edition 01.06 : PowerMac Built-in Sound driver edition 00.06

Whats the deal? Why does it detect diff hardware between these?

Is there a way to force a particular driver during the linux boot?
A kernel argument or something so that I can get sound when BootX'ing
from MacOS 9.1?

It is a major pain having to fully boot into MacOS 8.6 every time I want
switch between MacOS 9.1 or YDL.

--Teh

--
My mailbox is NOT an advertisement medium.        Tehrasha Darkon
My address is NOT for sale, lease or rent.      darkon@netins.net