Re: RTL8139x Ethernet Driver.. :/

Subject: Re: RTL8139x Ethernet Driver.. :/
From: Åke Svensson (aakesve@algonet.se)
Date: Thu Jan 17 2002 - 03:15:07 MST

Hi Ben!

I've tried the RTL8139 card as well without luck as yet. But I might give you some leads:
* You need to compile a kernel with support for it - the driver is called 8139too for kernels 2.4.xx and this module shuold be compiled into the kernel. I would recommend kernel 2.4.16 - works well on my PPC7600 and it seems to have good support for 'rtl8139X'.
* If you've gotten this far you should edit your /etc/modules.conf file and put 'alias eth0 rtl8139too' at the top for early loading.
* Check out the file /etc/xxxx/xxx/network-scripts/icfg-eth0 that it exists and contains the line 'onboot=yes'. Sorry about the file path memory problem - but try 'locate ifcfg'

And Ben,

don't give up! This list is great and you could be well off by trying to access earlier posts to this list wich I know contains a lot about rtl8139.

Recently I read somewhere that Microsoft is agressively targeting Linux server users in an effort to increase their market share. Funny, since some of Microsofts own internet servers are powered by Linux!

Best Regards,

Ake Svensson, Sweden
Newbie too!