Re: Yellow Dog Linux 2.1 and Power Mac G4 w/Radeon - Absolute newbie

Subject: Re: Yellow Dog Linux 2.1 and Power Mac G4 w/Radeon - Absolute newbie
From: Chris Boot (bootc@worldnet.fr)
Date: Thu Jan 17 2002 - 10:54:38 MST

Hi Juan,

Thanks very much for your help, but the problem is we aren't even getting
the Radeon framebuffer driver working on the console. We don't want to rush
into getting accelerated X until we have that working right.

The driver for the Radeon cards in the kernel is in fact "radeonfb", and is
"radeon" for X-Windows (but "ati" works as well because it delegates out
Rage-128 cards and Radeons to the proper drivers (r128 and radeon)).

I don't believe AGP support has got anything to do with it at the moment.
AGP cards act just like PCI cards unless claimed by an AGP-aware driver.
Remember, AGP is just PCI but running at 33MHz rather than 66MHz but having
a wider data path (64-bit rather than 32-bit), or at least that's how I
understand it. In any case, we couldn't compile in the AGP support because
there are no ppc-specific plugins as of yet (2.4.18-pre3).

So all that we know is that Aram's card is recognized by the radeonfb driver
but it cannot access the graphics memory buffer on the card.

As ever, I can be completely wrong on some of these aspects, but that's how
I understand them from what I've been reading and my experience.

Hope this clears things up a little,

--
Chris Boot
bootc@mac.com

"Unix is user friendly. It's just selective when choosing friends."