Re: netatalk can't unregister

Subject: Re: netatalk can't unregister
From: Keary Suska (hierophant@pcisys.net)
Date: Thu Jan 17 2002 - 11:35:54 MST

on 1/17/02 5:05 AM, sridel@earthlink.net purportedly said:

> I rebooted, started up netatalk, waited over a minute, started up MOL, and
> then looked for the server in the Apple chooser and it was still not there.
> For what it's worth, every 15-20 seconds, or so, my hard drive chirps like
> it is trying to process something. This started soon after I noticed
> netatalk was not working. Not sure if this has anything to do with that or
> not. Should there be any special settings in /etc/molrc in order for
> netatalk to work?

Netatalk has no relationship with MOL, so there is nothing you need to do
for either. However, there can be networking issues. If you don't have
successful TCP/IP support for MOL, you can only access volumes using
AppleTalk, and that can (in my experience) be unreliable with Netatalk.
Using TCP/IP is much more reliable, but then you need TCP/IP support for MOL
(using the tap or tun pseudo interface). It is possible that you can't
access an AppleTalk volume on the same machine, since netatalk probably does
not have an AppleTalk router (which would probably be required for this to
work), and AppleTalk does not have the concept of a loopback interface like
TCP/IP. If you have TCP/IP support for MOL, you can use AFP over TCP/IP.

Keary Suska
Esoteritech, Inc.